Thursday, September 30, 2010

oops!

Wow, it sure is hard to keep up the blog when you're in the midst of a move. I found this post from a couple of weeks back (9/30):


I woke up the other morning and hopped on the scale, only to discover - to my horror - that I managed to gain 10 pounds in 20 days! Now, if this change in weight were going the other direction I'd have a new hit diet on my hands. Instead I'm wondering how I've managed to put on 30 pounds with 3 months still left to go!


But today I got a checkup at my doctor's office and she reassured me that all is well. "You're all baby," she said. That and cankles, I thought to myself. She pointed to my low blood pressure and my negative test for gestational diabetes and pronounced me healthy as a horse. "Don't worry about it," she said. Excellent. Looks like ice cream is back on the menu!


Here's a photo from then.



Here's where I am now (30 weeks tomorrow!).





I would say I'm currently about the size I was with Roan at 40 weeks. (This is from then)



The astonished comments keep coming. "You're not due till Christmas?!? You poor thing! How's your back?" and so forth. For the most part, I'm still laughing along. Although I am starting to find myself getting tired out more easily, having a harder time breathing, straining myself more easily, and being a little more uncomfortable in bed. I still feel pretty cheerful though. This time around it's easier to keep in perspective how short this period is. With Roan it just felt like it was going to drag on forever. I think it helps significantly having that C-section date on the calendar. I know with certainty that the finish line is right there. The not knowing was so hard with Roan.

Ok, truth be told, for the most part I'm my chipper happy go lucky self. But from time to time when things stack up - like this evening: stabbing abdominal pain, a crick in my back making it hard to walk, a lack of hot water for a restorative soak in the tub, a stove that inexplicably stopped working one day after making an exhausting trip to the grocery store with Roan in tow, and a missing cookie sheet making it impossible to heat up some toaster oven nachos - then I suddenly find myself near tears just trying to make it the last couple of hours till Roan is in bed and I can put my feet up.

But ya know, the difference is this time around I can say "Wow, tonight sucks!" or "The last couple days have been rough" whereas with Roan my mental state was more like, "Oh crap it's all downhill from here on out, and by the way, when the h3ll is this baby coming?!?!"

In other news - we have moved into the new house. That is, all our stuff is here, whether we can find it or not in the boxes strewn about every inch of floor space. So we still have a lot of unpacking and settling in to do. We have a few pieces of furniture to buy (like a big girl bed for Roan and a crib that's not recalled for our precious unborn), a ceiling fan to install, now a stove to replace and some more suprise electrical work to do. We also have some touch up to do on the old house before we rent it out. Plus we need to have a garage sale. I think that's the plan for this weekend, though we're not organized at all yet. Other than that we're just sitting around with nothing to do.

But every morning we wake up in our beautiful (cluttered yes, but I can see past that) bedroom with 10 windows and see actual mountains lit purple in the morning sun. And on our way out the door we smile as we get a noseful of lavendar growing along the walkway. (And try not to stress about all the trimming and cleanup that needs to be done before snow is upon us.) But it is a really special place we feel so lucky to call home, and every day brings us closer to being settled in here.

Also Roan is doing so great. We just had her first parent/teacher conference at school. She is doing great in all the areas they evaluated her in - 8 different subjects from language to math to grace & courtesy. She has apparrently set a school record for the youngest child ever to be placed in a kindergarten aged reading group. She has taken to it like a fish in water. We are so grateful to her teachers, who all are so kind and thoughtful in their dealings with the children. She's blossoming under their care.

No comments: