Thursday, August 05, 2010

it's settled!


Well today was the big day: We had our 20 week ultrasound, and we got to find out what we're having: A BOY! I am so surprised! I didn't have any strong feelings, but I was leaning towards girl. It is such a trip to know I'm growing a little boy in there!


Roan went with us. She was really excited to come along. Everyone at her school knew that today was a big day, and everyone had a guess as to what the baby is. I brought along the video camera so we could capture Roan's reaction. I was pretty sure she'd say some adorable things. Right as we got to the doctor's office I realized I'd charged the battery but the tape was full! I was bummed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. When the ultrasound tech located the spot, it was so obvious I blurted out, "It's a boy!" Roan replied, "Nooo! I wanted a baby sister!"

Maybe not the warmest initial reaction, but she's since changed her tune. "I've got a baby brother" she said tonight proudly before marching off to bed.

I personally am so grateful to have this little piece of technology available to provide the luxury of some time to process the idea of this new addition. He's still a mystery to us, and there will be lots of surprises still to uncover. This is just one little insight into who this little person is.

Wow, a boy. I just never pictured myself being a mom to a boy. Wild!

Here are some 3D pictures they took of our little boy.

His legs...




And several of his precious little face...



He is already a bit on the big side. His head is in the 91st percentile (LARGE!) and he's measuring about 5 days ahead. Which actually could just be due to the way the ultrasound machines work - it's not uncommon for babies to measure a couple weeks ahead or behind. My tummy (actually my uterus) when measured from the outside is coming in at 23 weeks. So it's not just my imagination that I'm bigger than average. I'm 3 weeks ahead!

We also went ahead and scheduled the date for his birth. My doc is booking the morning of December 16th for the C-section. She has left it totally up to me whether to go the C-section route or to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section). I have not hesitated for a moment in my feeling that the C-section is the right choice for me. I'm glad that these days moms are getting to make their own choices on this. I just know that for myself, after all I went through with Roan's delivery, I just don't have it in me to try for that again. You really have to come into the labor room with your "game face" on, really believing in your heart of hearts that you can do this. And I, frankly, am not a believer. I just could not go through another labor when there's this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it's probably going to end up in a C-section anyway. Plus having two cuts on my uterus instead of one (because they had such a hard time getting Roan out) would make me nervous - rightly or wrongly - about uterine rupture.

This will be a really different birth experience for us. Last time my point of view was about 180 degrees different from where I'm at now.

Thanks for sharing this adventure with us.

3 comments:

Jen said...

YEAAA!!!! Logan's gonna be so thrilled to have a runnin buddy!! Have y'all decided on the name?

Leah said...

We can't wait to meet him. Mom&Stepehn/aka Lolli/GPop

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.