Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Here are some photos from last weekend's trip to Lakeside Amusement Park.

Gracie & Roan - love those looks on their faces!

Audrey & Gracie on the merry go round


Roan, Gracie & Audrey - 3 little buddies out waaay past their bedtimes.


And here how things are shaping up for me this week:


Still growing, but feeling good. The belly is quite a wonder to behold, in a carnival side show sort of way. I'm really enjoying it! I keep thinking if this is what July looks like, just wait until December...

Baby's been quiet this week. A little kicking but not much. I've been focusing this week on clearing away mental clutter, being realistic about my commitments, and experiencing a sense of clarity and tranquility. It's been good! Even though there's lots going on at work, lots to do around the house, and we're on pins and needles waiting to hear back from the bank about the new house, I haven't been too stressed out. My secret is the new prenatal yoga class I started going to. That hour and a half I spend there I really take with me throughout the week.

Roan's doing great. She's been very into her babies lately, which I guess is nothing new. Sometimes she just bowls me over with how sweet or sensitive or funny she is. And then other times here lately I can't seem to come to grips with how stubborn and independent she can be. I think on Monday "No" was about all she said to me all day. After hours of whining, crying, recalcitrant refusal to nap she eventually collapsed in exhaustion, face down on the tile stairs. I guess it's tough being 3.

Sometimes I think I just can't face one more toothbrushing negotiation. And then the next thing you know you're laughing about "burrito toes" and happily brushing teeth away. Sometimes she won't let me comfort her when she's tired or mad, and other times she curls up happily in my lap and drifts peacefully off to sleep. You just never really know what you're going to get from one day to the next, or even one minute to the next. You know who's amazing when she gets into those stubborn spells is Arwen. He aways seems to get her laughing her way back to cooperation. He makes it look easy. I'm trying to take notes from him.

This morning just when we were walking out the door I noticed her hair had already managed to get un-fixed. I just needed to put two barrettes in it real quick before heading to the car, but she would have none of it. "No!" she stubbornly declared, arms crossed. I felt this heat flame up in my face, just plain frustration at being late, needing to go, and not having the time or patience for this. But I remembered a trick. I told her, "Instead of saying 'No', Roan, say 'How about this Mommy,' and tell me your idea for what you want to happen." She came back with, "How about this Mommy. How about we go get in the car and then do barrettes." Fantastic! Problem solved, crisis averted. Smile restored to my face. And no children were beaten to within an inch of their lives in the process. It was a miracle.

If you haven't already, don't forget to cast your vote for what we're having. Just one more week till we find out (hopefully)!

No comments: