Wednesday, January 06, 2010

bad dreams

Last night I had a terrible dream. Actually it was more like 3 terrible dreams all strung together. It was one of those that was so bad, even after you wake up you still keep crying for a while. I was wide awake and too disturbed to settle back down to sleep, so I wandered into Roan's room to make sure she was ok. I cozied her blankets up around her chin and she snuggled into them contentedly. It made me feel better just watching her sleep so peacefully. Just as I was about to turn and go back to bed, she patted the pillow next to her and murmered, "Lay down with me for a while Mama." It seemed like she was still asleep, and yet she knew I was there. And it felt like she was offering me comfort, not asking me to comfort her. Talk about role reversals. I never thought I'd be wandering into her room looking for reassurance after a nightmare. Next time she has a bad dream, I know I'll be happy to return the favor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching post... I have tears in my eyes. Those little ones can certainly provide comfort as we comfort them. Love & kisses. Mom/Lolli

Joy N. Hensley said...

Aren't they amazing, just when you need them the most??